Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Milky Way Festival part 2


On my way to the Festival, I noticed the International Breast Milk Project (IBMP). They send donor milk to South Africa, and various countries. They recently did the PR for HMBANA (Human Milk Banking Association of North America). regarding donor milk to Haiti. There seems to be alot of public relation people on staff. They are partnered with Prolacta. But mentioned that with HMBANA that Prolacta was not involved. I wonder if HMBANA and the IBMP are going for a longer partnership?? On the IBMP website, I was fascinated with their association with DLA Piper (lawyers). They state, "We support IBMP's core mission of providing breast milk to needy infants in the developing world. DLA Piper's corporate, regulatory and intellectual property lawyers are helping IBMP negotiate the global landscape from a compliance and risk management perspective."
http://www.breastmilkproject.org/op_dla_piper.php

Why does IBMP need intellectual property lawyers to "negotiate the global landscape?" Intellectual property lawyers are expensive lawyers...want me to tell you their hourly rates?? I could almost pay my monthly mortgage payment with what they get an hour. But I guess ya need those guys when you are working globally and with all those human milk component patents. What woman is going to complain about how someone used her milk to create a money-making patent that will be used to make infant formula, or a drug, or a food??? Yeah, don't ask, can't tell ya, just sign the form.....part of the fun of Festival......I guess the fun will begin when various industries fight over who owns a particular human milk component. Mine, no mine, gimme, gimme...I found it first, mom loves me best. And the IP lawyers gleefully rub their hands together as the clock ticks away.....
Copyright 2010 Valerie W. McClain

No comments:

Post a Comment